Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Prison Time


Last week we loaded up the car and made the four hour road trip to Yuma, Arizona. My parents were in from Wisconsin and the meeting ground was my sister and brother-in-laws house. The drive is actually pretty scenic. The first hour is spent heading south to San Diego, and then the next hours are pretty evenly split between up, through, and down the mountains, and across desert. Having a few days in Yuma, I looked for some activities to pass the time and found the Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park (www.pr.state.az.us/parks/YUTE/index.html). The park did not provide as many photo ops as I had hoped, but it did entertain my dad and I for about an hour and a half. Did you know that in the late 1800s you could be put in prison for "seduction"?! The prison played host to both men and women (of the 3069 prisoners to pass through only 29 were women), and was notoriously known for paroling its inmates early. The prison was a model institution for the time during its 33 years of housing convicts. The photos I posted here were of a replica cell, and an actual barbers chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment